A big day at work today. I announced that I would be leaving Avid to join a much smaller company called Sonos where I will head up their engineering team. Sonos, headquartered in Santa Barbara, designs and manufactures a wireless digital music delivery system for the home. I will be based in their Cambridge, MA office which is growing rapidly as the company expands its product portfolio. The company reminds me of Truevision, the company I co-founded in my twenties, and I am very excited about returning to such a high voltage environment, now with 25 years of experience to draw on. Leaving Avid, however, will not be easy. It is a great company and I have been priviledged to work with many wonderful people. I offered a three month notice when I resigned earlier this month and will start at Sonos in early June. Pictured here is the Sonos controller from which I can access any song in the world and play it in any room in the house. I purchased the system before my first interview to evaluate the company. Many will recall that it was immediately usurped by the kids and turned into their Christmas present.
Kyle played in three soccer games this weekend at the Seacoast Soccer Tournament in Epping, NH. Jeanine made the three hour round trip yesterday and I did the honors today. The boys won their first two matches and tied the last which was good enough to finish in first place. Kyle, still recovering from mono, was in fine form. Here he lifts the ball over a defender’s slide tackle and continues on his way as if he had stepped over a puddle. And yes, that is snow in the background. Conditions yesterday were terrible but could not have been nicer today.
I completed the deck of my kayak today (twice). The first time I wired it together, I was not satisfied with the bevel angles between deck plates. To make the refinements, I had to remove them all and then redo about four hours of work. Despite the enormous frustration this caused, I was quite pleased with the outcome and am extremely happy with the shape and lines of the kayak. Once again, Maya provided significant assistance. I have decided on the name Calypso when the time comes to christen her.
Today I had a chance to photograph the work I completed this weekend on my kayak. I made very good progress considering I spent most of Saturday at Kyle’s soccer game and most of Sunday occupied with the Easter gathering. Nicolai assisted with scarfing the plates together, cutting wire ties, and building of the cradle, Maya was in charge of sponging and hammer holding, Rachel was in charge of glue and dry wipes, and Kyle helped out with stitching the panels together. This is my first wood working project where the assistance of the kids actually made the project go faster. The hull is now in pretty good shape and I will move onto the deck next weekend.
Among the guests at our home was my sister’s new dog, Harpo. Nala was banished from the house lest she confuse this tiny fellow for a snack. When a wind up toy from one of the Easter Eggs was released, Harpo started batting at it with those little legs and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
Nicolai was in charge of hiding Easter eggs, a job he cherishes. Among them was the golden egg with a $20 gift certificate inside. After a half hour of searching Kyle was convinced that Nico had placed it high in one of our trees. In fact, the coveted egg was hidden under the newel post of our deck railing.
A highlight for the kids was this chocolate fountain. Despite the available array of fruits and cakes available for chocolate coating the kids seemed determined to try using every imaginable substrate for the liquid confectionery. I stopped keeping track when experimentation led them to potato chips.
In celebration of Easter this year we invited several families over for an Easter Egg hunt and Sunday dinner. The women seemed to gather around the food (no comment), while the men seemed to prefer the dining room. The kids claimed the sun porch and breakfast area. In total I think we had 28 guests and enough food to feed 50.
I needed to wait till morning for the photograph but I was able to finish the strong back in a little over two hours. I am very pleased with the result. The H beam design I used proved to be very strong. I also took the time to protect the floor under the assembly area which is likely to get covered in epoxy and varnish before the project is done.